Re: Richard Stallman on RSA, Zimmermann, crypto

Deranged Mutant wrote:

> Not to defend or condemn RSA folx or patents, etc., but sometime ago
> (recently) I read or was told or perhaps hallucinated that PGP3 was
> going to include non-RSA algorithms that didn't suffer the patent
> stickiness (El Gammel based on DSA?)

DSA is based on El-Gamal, not the other way round. Although it is likely
that a future version of PGP will include these algorithms the problem
arises from the Diffie-Helleman patent and not the RSA patent. When this
expires in 1997 it is certain that many products using public key
cryptosystems will be avaliable in an unrestricted fashion.

	Phill