Re: InfoSec Spin

John Young writes:
>       In cyberspace, where hackers are finding commercial
>       computer systems easy prey, businesses are choosing to
>       hire free-lance security teams rather than involve the
>       law. A Senate subcommittee heard Wednesday from experts
>       who described how businesses, concerned over negative
>       publicity, avoid reporting hacker assaults on their
>       networked computer system.

Shocking, that.

Of course this happens. I mean, its part of my bread and
butter. However, this shouldn't be surprising -- businesses have
ALWAYS operated this way, whether on shoplifting or catching employees
with their hands in the kitty or hacking. It is not only a question of
avoiding embarassment, but also a question of having different
interests from law enforcement. The company wants safety, not
convictions. They don't have to worry about warrants or absolute proof
-- they only have to worry about their actions being defensible in a
civil suit. This makes their operations in such cases very different indeed.

Perry