RISKS: YAJSH

Reposted from RISKS:   Yet Another Java Security Hole:

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 07:46:20 +0000 (BST)
From: David Hopwood <[email protected]>
Subject: Another Java attack

There is another serious security bug in the class loading code for all
currently available Java browsers:

    Netscape up to versions 2.02 and 3.0beta4 (except Windows 3.x)
    Oracle PowerBrowser for Win32
    HotJava 1.0beta
    'appletviewer' from the Java Development Kit up to version 1.0.2

Sun, Netscape, and Oracle have been sent details of the problem (which is
partly related to the ClassLoader attack found by Drew Dean, et al. in
March).  The attack works by exploiting a design flaw in the mechanism that
separates JVM classes into different namespaces.

Using this bug, an attacker can bypass all of Java's security restrictions.
This includes reading and writing files, and executing native code on the
client with the same permissions as the user of the browser.

The only way to avoid this problem at the moment is to disable Java. For
more details see
    http://ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk/~david/java/bugs/

Technical details will be posted when Sun, Netscape, and Oracle release
patches.

David Hopwood  [email protected]  http://ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk/~david/