Re: INteresting tidbit

** Reply to note from [email protected] 06/07/96 11:15am pdt

> >>   4.   The ability to crack DES-1 in near real-time mode is present.
> >>        (See above).
> >First, this has been loosely confirmed for ages. Someone was mentioning
>> that FBI offices supposedly have software that (on a 486) can crack a DES-1 key
>> in under an hour. Multiply * modern high capacity computers = problem.
>> However, this does not nessesarily follow from
>
> Sigh.  This is of course hopelessly bogus.  You can't even crack RC4/40 in
> under an hour on a 486 machine, thoguh you can do it very fast on custom
> hardware.

 I figured it had been sensationalized. I received an email from someone who had
actually played with such a beast (or claimed to have) and I believe he mentioned
it had an addin card.

> >This Message Was Sent With An UNREGISTERED Version Of PMMail.
> >Please Encourage Its Author To Register Their Copy Of PMMail.
> >For More Information About PMMail And SouthSide Software's Other
> >Products, Contact http://www.southsoft.com.
>
> I won't encourage you to register it, but at least please find a way to
> quiet the sucker down.  Mailers that do one line of advertising on unregistered
> shareware are semi-tolerable.  Mailers that do 4 lines are highly rude.
> Fortunately, a good binary editor makes it easy to go in and turn the message
> to something quieter, like -'s or :-)'s...

I just did that. Took awhile to find a decent OS/2 email program... I'm not sure
the new one is better, but it sure is less intrusive.  That and a little bug that
resulted in some messages getting dumped here (still wondering how it managed
that) cost them a sale.