Re: Britain to control crypto - official (fwd from Usenet)

>The British government quietly announced yesterday that it will
>legislate to restrict crypto. The details are in the attached
>Reuters and PA newswires.

[snip]
>    "The TTPs would offer digital signature, data integrity and retrieval, key
>management and other services for which there is a commercial demand," Taylor
>said in a written parliamentary answer.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again.
I have no objection with this.

If people wish to safeguard their encryption/signature keys by leaving them with a "trusted third party", then they should be able to do so.

If this is a requirement, then it's hardly a service for which there is a "commercial demand".

I assume that followup news releases (or the aforementioned workshop) will clarify the situation.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Aladdin Systems   <mailto:[email protected]>

"We don't have to take it; never have, never will.
Gonna shake it, gonna break it; let's forget it: better still" --The Who, "Tommy"