What constitutes a remailer?

What really constitutes a remailer (pseudo-anonymous vs anonymous
arguments aside)?  For example, the other day I received a message from
66west.com saying that I had a greeting card waiting, I was to go to a
certain URL and enter a simple password to retreive my "greeting card".
Now this card had no return address, no name.  Could this constitute a
remailer?  A while back there was a thread on how to take some of the
responsibility off of the remailer operators (the last one in the chain
more so), could this be a viable alternative?  (Actually, I believe it
was discussed).  As for tracking, I'm sure the server logs are rotated
often, and are not kept forever (our student page server here rotates
daily and logs are kept for 4 days AFAIK), so perhaps this may even be
less traceable.  Using these greeting cards, what prohibits me from
sending a letter instead of "happy birthday"?

Will the anti-remailer people crack down on this also?  I can just see
the law "Thou shalt not send greeting cards via email without photoID"
:-)

Sean

Sean Walberg                              [email protected]
The Web Guy                  http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umwalber
UNIX Group, U. of Manitoba          PGP Key Available from Servers