Re: Kaos vs Control

At 3:08 PM 6/12/96, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>With apologies to Maxwell Smart...

(And to SMERSCH, "Death to Censors")

>Note the most important part of the decision.  The embrace of chaos by the
>Chief Judge of the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals:
>
>"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of
>our liberty depends upon the chaos and cacophony of the
>unfettered speech the First Amendment protects.
>          For these reasons, I without hesitation hold that the
>CDA is unconstitutional on its face."
>
>Chaos wins again.

See, all you doubters, "anarchy" is not so bad after all.

(Politically aware people of various stripes fully understood the precise
meaning of "anarchy," and anarchy of various types (anarcho-capitalism,
anarcho-syndicalism, etc.) is well-known. The _popular_ impression of
anarchy-- images of bomb-throwing Russians or Bloods and Crips street
battles--is less charitable. I see little chance that people who don't
understand anarchy derives from "an-archy," "no top/leader/highest level,"
will become educated.)

Kevin Kelly's "Out of Control" makes the chaos/anarchy/self-organization
points in a different way, as do the works of Hayek, D. Friedman, and many
others.

Good to see the courts reaffirming that "chaos" and lack of control by
authorities is a core part of the U.S. system. Maybe the control freaks of
Europe and Asia who have been charting their own authoritarian courses will
give more thought to ensuring liberty even if it more "chaos."

Today is a good day.

--Tim

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!