Re: PBS show

At 11:26 AM 6/13/96 +0000, Brad Shantz wrote:

>Since I live 10 blocks away from the main MS Campus, I hear
>everything there is to hear about Bill Gates.  So, it was really
>unnecessary for me to watch the hour and a hlaf devoted strictly to
>who Bill stole what from.  **GRIN**

I only watched a few minutes of the show.  Did they mention that Microsoft
actually bought the MSDOS operating system from Seattle Computer products?

Also, in about January of 1976, I attended a meeting at a hotel near Kansas
City International airport, run by MITS (makers of Altair) showing off their
computer.  (They drove a van around the country and demo'd the computer to
throngs of...oh...hundreds of people.

At the time, I had followed the budding microcomputer hobby only a little.
I specifically recall being told at the show
of complaints by a company called "Microsoft" that its "4K Basic" was being
bootlegged.  (Note to the newbies:  The term "4K Basic" meant a Basic
interpreter that fit in a main memory space of 0.004 megabytes.)   I soon
learned that they were selling it for about $500, or about 12 cents per
executable byte.

>> Those were exciting times. But, having worked at Intel during those heady
>> days, and being pretty active these days on the Net, I'd have to say the
>> Web, Net, Java, etc. are *just as exciting* (if not more so) than those
>> days. So, the best years are probably yet to come.
>
>Having started my "prefessional" Internet career at SPRY in 1993, I
>agree that the best of the Internet is yet to come.  Bill Gates said
>in the show last night that it is almost impossible to judge where
>the market will be in a year because things are changing so fast.
>Right now everything is a buzzword.  JAVA, etc...they are all infant
>technologies that if marketed correctly could lead to the next
>revolution.

Literally!

Jim Bell
[email protected]