Re: doubleclick monitoring web browsing habits

On 14 Jun 96 at 14:26, Hal wrote:

> When I run lynx (2.3.7 beta) to <URL:
> http://www.anonymizer.com/cgi-bin/snoop.pl >, it says:
>
>    Here's a sampling of the kind of information that a site can collect
>    on you (please wait a moment):

>      Your computer is a Unix box.
>      Your Internet browser is Lynx.
>      You are coming from jobe.shell.portal.com.
>      You just visited the Anonymizer Home Page.
>
> No user name here.

I visited there from Netscape. Didn't give my user name but
apparently said "You are affiliated with ASB Internet, Inc. ..." and
then displayed a bunch of advertising info by ISP puts out.

An amusing thought: fill the personal info fields with business
advertisements.  Perhaps people who surf the web regularly can sell
advertising space.

(insert smiling emoticon here)

> Also, when I follow a mailto: link it asks me to input the email address
> I want the mail to be from!  So I don't think it is using local user name
> information, although certainly that is potentially available to it.

Have you tried mailing yourself by putting something else in there? I
remember trying that and seeing from the headers that I sent it (the
usual "Received by ..." username -> machine paths.) Of course that
was on a University's computer system, so they may have patched the
sources.

Rob

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 [email protected] (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <[email protected]>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.