Re: pretty good reputation

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Vipul Ved Prakash wrote:

> a pretty good detour.
>
> by what i understand pgp's "web of trust" scheme has flaws. according to
> pgp (alice trusts jane, jane trusts snoopy, bob trusts alice) implies
> bob trusts snoopy. this means that alice trusts jane to the extent, that
> if jane trusts a third person, then a fourth person who trusts alice
> automatically trusts that third person. deducing such results from a
> simple shades of trust system cannot lead to a reliable web of trust.
> thats common sense.
>
> what is required is a reputation system wherein trust is  _qualified_
> rather than _quantified_. its senseless to say i trust him five units.
> it will be more appropriate if pgp has a separate tag for "type of trust"
> or something like that.

Concur.
I suggested this kind of taging of signatures coupled with specific yes/no
questions from pgp to narrow down the meaning and scope of trust extended
by a given signature.

> this kind of thing can be difficult to handle, since it a fuzzy
> parameter. add to the problem a global-system like internet where all
> communication is not person to person. i was wondering if there are
> any working mathematical models for reputation systems, and how
> successful they are.
>
> vipul ved prakash

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:[email protected]
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: [email protected]