Re: [Noise] Re: Clinton Backs Internet 'Decency Act'

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 15-Jun-96 [Noise] Re: Clinton Backs I..
by Joseph M. R. [email protected]

Rich Graves wrote:
RG>This is also at odds with what Clinton said. The full text of the
RG>statement is available on whitehouse.gov, among other places.

>         I don't see how necessarily. (1) He supports the bill, and (2) he
> thinks the bill is within the realm of constitutionality, his statement is
> rather weak, but I think if you take the two points above, their summation
> is obvious and _is_ contrary to the bravado of Gore's MIT commencement
> speech. This is not to say he could very well back off to save face, which
> is what he is starting to do, and I hope he continues to do...

It is in fact not at odds with what Clinton said. In fact, Clinton did
not have to go out and defend the law's constitutionality in an official
statement.

He could have just said "my attorneys in the DoJ are reviewing the
opinion and will make a decision to appeal or not within the time given
by law."

-Declan