Re: Snake Oil on the Water...

On 16 Jun 96 at 11:19, Alan Olsen wrote:

> I recieved this on another list.  The snake oil is starting to flow pretty
> heavy.  I expect it to get worse...

> >Subject: Windows 3.x or Win95 FREEWARE Mail/Encryption Program
[..]
> >At the following two sites, you may download the FREEWARE Pegasus Mail
> >program version 2.3.3 16 bit for windows 3.x or a version for WIN95. The
> >unique thing about it, besides its simplicity and that it's a great mail
> >program better than Eudora, it has a built in encryption program that is as

Actually, it is much better than Eudora and has plug-ins for
encryption.  The native encryption sucks, and the author warns
against it (it's there as a demo of the crypto API!).

There *is* a PGP-plugin (w/source) that uses PGP to
encrypt or decrypt mail and add keys.  The last version I saw had
shitty key management... if you're emailing somebody at an address
different from the key-id, it didn't prompt you for another key (and
Pegasus 2.2 sent it out in cleartext!).

I don't like the add on much, but many others do, aware of that flaw
and some others.

Seems like the person who wrote that message doesn't know what he's
talking about.

There's a difference between snake oil and a user who doesn't
understand a product.

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 [email protected] (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <[email protected]>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.