Royalties (was "Re: Micropayments are Crap", which is a boring s

On 17 Jun 96 at 12:45, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

[..]
> 2. copyrights. the issue of copyrights is not even resolved today.
> when serious cash starts to be associated with cyberspace you
> are going to see a lot of incredibly agitated people, especially
> lawyers. I imagine systems will evolve that are similar to
> a technology that has evolved by which radio stations pay music
> companies whenever they play artists songs. (if any cpunks could
> elaborate on this system, I think it is an excellent preliminary
> example of how a microcurrency-like system would interact with
> a copyright situation).  I think similar standards are going to

Excellent example? I dunno. At the non-commercial station I work,
once a year or every other year ASCAP or BMI, for a two week period,
wants our playlists... not the usual playlists, but detailed ones
which even the most anal-retentive people hate to fill out: the
performer, the song writer (not always the same), album and song
titles, record label, and if music is ASCAP, BMI, etc.  Includes not
only songs but them music, background music, etc.

I don't remember the rates, but non-commercial stations pay a lower rate than
commercial ones.  Royalties are supposedly divied out to songwriters
(and performers?) or record companies based on how much airplay they
received, which I guess is averaged out for the whole year.  I don't
know if they survey all radio stations around the same time or space
it out for different areas and different stations throughout the
year.  Touch luck for artists who get some airplay but not enough to
make it on the lists, of course.

Digital area: possibility that people will feel because it's
computerized, EVERYTHING can be kept track of.    This is
problematic, aside from privacy reasons, because the big royalty
makers get less and the smaller people get more.  Parallel with
experiemtal Nielson-ratings tech... a special cable box that did the
monitoring for you, and even had an electronic eye that could tell if
anyone was in the room, or if they were sleeping or reading the paper
rather than watching... apparently every station got much lower
ratings than when people generously filled out booklets, so the
stations threatened to set up an alternate system, so I don't know if
that system was adopted.

I'm curious as to how royalities are divied up from the cassette tax,
since everyone with blank casssettes is, of course, violating
copyrights according to some logic.

Will people want royalities for reselling?  There was a flack a few
years ago from some big record distributors over used CD sales.  They
refused to supply some of the big chains if they continued to sell
used CDs without giving them a cut.

Rob