Re: Oil Change software snoops through hard drive

At 8:31 PM 6/23/96, Alan Lewine wrote:
><<I wrote:
>>But this isn't MS's RegWiz. It's capabilities sound much greater, and
>>it's not clear how to opt out, etc. >>Tim May replied:
><<Not buying it and not installing it would appear to be an easy way to
>"opt out.">>
>Maybe i'm confused, but oil change sounds like a mole that can burrow
>unbidden into user's disks. I don't think user installation is required,
>or else it will auto install the user code on installation of whatever
>software has licensed it.

If I understand your comments (the strange wrapping doesn't make it easy),
you are confusing Oil Change with a virus or worm.

It's a commercial product, offering a (putative) service to those who buy
it. One "opts out" by not buying and installing it.

There may be privacy implications, but then there are privacy implications
in all sorts of other areas. Such as filling out a loan request, applying
for a credit card, visiting a doctor, etc. I'm of course not saying that
these privacy implications are not worth discussing, and do not vary from
example to example in seriousness, only that Oil Change hardly appears to
be a significant threat.

To repeat, no one is forced to buy and install Oil Change, and it certainly
doesn't copy itself onto the machines of unsuspecting users.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!