Message pools _are_ in use today!

At 4:37 PM 6/29/96, Hal wrote:
>From: [email protected] (Igor Chudov @ home)
>> A nice, albeit quite expensive, way of pretection from traffic analysis
>> is to create a mailing list (or a newsgroup) and forward all messages to
>> all users of that mailing list or newsgroup. Of course, since messages
>> are encrypted, only the recipients will be able to decrypt them.
>
>This was discussed here several years ago, under the name "anonymous
>message pools".  Myron Cuperman, the operator of the extropia remailer
>implemented one, although I don't know if it is still running (I
>haven't gotten any mail from it for years).  It was basically just a
>mailing list specifically for this purpose, that you would use as your
>anonymous return address.  Of course a problem is that there may not be
>enough people signed up to provide much privacy protection.

The newsgroup "alt.anonymous.messages" has existed for a year or two, and
serves to be working reasonably well as a message pool. Check it out.

One will find numerous messages of the sort copied below. Having browsed
some of the less common newsgroups (and trolled, in my my earlier days), I
surmise that messages to nyms like "TheBear" are related to "support and
recovery" sorts of topics. (I mention this because this is a compelling
example of where anonymity is often sought; that people are using remailers
and message pools to communicate is interesting. When Louis Freeh claims
that remailers are only being used by hackers and Russian mafia arms
exporters, this is a counterexample.)

Here's just one such message, of several I saw this morning in
"alt.anonymous.messages". (Note that anonymous message pool sorts of
messages also appear directly from time to time in groups like
"alt.abuse.recovery" and that ilk.)

--begin copied message--