Re: SAFE Forum--some comments

At 07:00 PM 7/2/96 -0700, Bill Frantz wrote:
>At  2:47 PM 7/2/96 -0700, Lile Elam wrote:
>>The comment I kept hearing over and over was that we have to
>>educate the public about what cryptography is and why it's important
>>to everyone using computers to communicate. This public includes
>>people who are not on the net and those who don't even know what the
>>Internet is.
>
>Absolutely!  The image of postcards vs. letters may be the most effective
>metaphor.

However, that AT+T fellow who revealed the phone records to the militia
group would also be an appropriate comparison to destroy the "key-escrow"
idea.  I assume AT+T had procedures in place which were SUPPOSED TO prevent
this.  Well, key-escrow agents "will" also have similar procedures.  Why
should we assume they will be more reliable?

Jim Bell
[email protected]