Re: CWD -- Jacking in from the "Keys to the Kingdo

On 5 Jul 96 12:41:54 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>: It would actually take less creativity to do the other things, bypass the
>: config.sys, etc. The child would thus be perhaps a little TOO creative. :)

>B)  Forget the CONFIG.SYS ... what about kids using Macs or some future
>    "Kid Safe" system that has the filters in an eeprom?  I'm talking
>    about bypassing the censorship on the client-server level.  Relatively
>    platform independent.

I doubt it will ever happen, for two reasons: 1) people always forget
passwords and/or have system problems. There will always be a need for
system disks or CDs. If parents don't trust their kids (and the ones most
worred don't; if they trust their kids, they're not going to worry about
what they're doing in the first place) chances are they're still not
going to lock up the CD and keep the kid from borrowing one from a
friend, etc. Also, most parents tend to be sloppy with passwords - it's
easy to observe them entering it, etc. 2) Most parents need the kid to
keep the computer working. They a) don't have the knowledge/skill to keep
the kid out and b) need to give him access to repair things. If their kid
is in fixing a problem, dropping the security software is trivial (better
yet: "Mom. Guess what! The bug was in NetNanny").

// Chris Adams <[email protected]> - Webpages for sale! Se habla JavaScript!
// Automatically receive my resume or PGPKEY by sending email with a subject
// of 'send PGPKEY' or 'send resume'. Capitalization counts so be careful!