HotWired -- "A Browne Study"

Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 12:10:44 -0500
To: [email protected]
From: [email protected] (Declan McCullagh)
Subject: HotWired -- "A Browne Study"

When Harry Browne was in my office for an interview on Tuesday, he talked a
good line, stressing his unabashed support for free speech (online and
offline) and government nonintervention in crypto. Read the full article in
today's HW/Netizen at the URL below for details...

Also in today's Netizen, John Heilemann reports on how "wired" Dick Lamm
is, saying that as long as Lamm's politics are in touch with the future,
it's good for the Net:

  http://www.hotwired.com/netizen/96/28/index3a.html

I happen to disagree; I think that if a candidate for president wants to
portray himself as "wired," he should venture into c-space himself. At
least we know Browne's cyber-clueful -- after all, he told me he bookmarked
HotWired. :)

-Declan

---

HotWired, The Netizen
http://www.hotwired.com/netizen/96/28/campaign_dispatch3a.html

"A Browne Study"
Campaign Dispatch

by Declan McCullagh
Washington, DC, 10 July

   The newly anointed Libertarian candidate for president dropped by
   HotWired's Washington bureau yesterday. With netizens appropriately
   regulation-shy after the Communications Decency Act brouhaha, the
   White House's Clipper III proposal, and calls from the Justice
   Department for a new cabinet-level agency to rein in the Net, it was
   clear the guy knows how to woo online voters.

   "Can you imagine if I got to the debates, and I made Bill Clinton and
   Bob Dole justify censoring the Internet - made them justify their
   blatant disregard for the First Amendment of the Constitution?" Harry
   Browne asked.

   No doubt about it, the Libertarian party has its flaws - little
   things, like that they'd gut environmental laws and auction off
   America's national parks and wildlife refuges if given half a chance.
   But it's also pretty obvious that this is the only party that actually
   understands the Net.

[...]