Re: Another bad idea

At 09:40 AM 7/12/96 +0500, Arun Mehta wrote:

>What that does is give us a window of opportunity. Hongkong has one
>remaining  year of guaranteed unfettered flow of information. China still
>has the Internet. What can we do?

{good ideas snipped]

Another thing to do is get more web sites containing information of interest
to people living in such regimes on SSL enabled web servers.  If the web
redirectors can be set to redirect SSL traffic undisturbed, then there is
another level of encryption for the chinese to have to hack through to find
"dissidents".  And if someone could sneak them a few copies (hint...
hint...) of the 128 bit version, it would make their lives even more difficult.

I see a point where the repressive regimes of the world are going to be
trying to prevent their people from getting to information that is against
the regime, but getting run over by the shear volume of the information.  It
may be possible to filter for such things, but in doing so, you destroy any
usefulness the network has in the first place.

Of course this is all a moot point, because it has been proven by computer
projections that all informative net traffic will be buried under
advertisements by the year 2000 anyways.  I expect some legislative body to
try and make money fast on the net by selling ad space on IP packet headers.
("This packet sponsored by Preparation H!")

I think I will go drink more coffee now...

---
|"Computers are Voodoo -- You just have to know where to stick the pins."|
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | [email protected]  |