Re: [NOISE, FLAME] Cypherpunk kook slanders

At 12:23 PM 7/14/96 EDT, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

[Alot of bullshit deleted]

>I remember how someone recently argued on news.groups that Bruce Bough's votes
>should be invalidated because he's dying from AIDS. I strongly disagree with
>Dan's (?) reasoning, which was, I recall, that someone with only a couple of
>months left to live shouldn't be telling others how to run Usenet after his
>death. I think we should consider Bruce's opinions as being representative.
>After all, a Usenet vote is an interest poll, and the voters are just a sample
>of a larger population. Not everyone who thinks like Bruce Bough is going to
>die together with him from AIDS within a few months (sigh). Let him vote.

I have no idea where you got the idea that Bruce has AIDS.

I know Bruce well.  He does not have AIDS.  You have no clue as to what the
hell you are talking about.

I understand him being pissed at the accusation.  This society does not deal
very well with people with AIDS.  Bruce has a justifiable concern as to
lasting damage to his reputation due to unfounded allegations.  (Of course,
it is not as bad as accusing someone of being a child mollester, as your
friend Dr. Grubor enjoys doing to people he disagrees with...)

Bruce *does* have health problems.  He has worked DAMN hard to overcome
them. They are not a figment of his imagination, nor are they the result of
AIDS.  They are a very real problem which he is trying to deal with in the
best way he can.

As for him "dragging outside articles into this group"...  You must mean him
mentioning your recieval of the "Net Kook of the Month Award".  It probably
was off topic.  After reading your forwards however, it was not undeserved.

Another thing that you need to do is learn how to comprehend written english.

You stated:
>In article 2, Bruce Bough follows up on my article and threatens to prosecute
>me under the Americans with Disability Act for misspelling his name.

He did nothing of the sort.  He threatened to prosecute you for slandering
him (by stating he has AIDS when he does not), not for the spelling of his name.

He stated:
>Further, you might want to read up on the Americans With Disabilities
>Act. Slanderous and defamatory statements about the handicapped - and my
>government agrees that I do have a real problem, though it's not AIDS -
>open you up to interesting liability.

I don't understand why you feel the need to cast aspersions on those you
disagree with.  But you should not be surprised when it pisses people off.

Bruce is a very nice guy who has some health problems.  I know few people
who have met him who have not gotten along with him.  Why I should take the
word of someone with your attitude over his is unclear to me.  Acting like
an asshole does not gain any sympathy for your cause.

Bruce has killfiled you.  I do not blame him.  You remade my killfile list
as well.

Get a life.

---
Alan Olsen -- [email protected] -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."