Re: Markoff on Clipper III

At 09:35 PM 7/14/96 -0700, David Sternlight wrote:
>>At 02:33 PM 7/14/96 -0400, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>>>Last time I looked, the oath they took was to protect the Constitution --
>>>not the nation or national security.
>
>Did you miss the part in the Constitution about "provide for the common
>defence"

If there is anything that is clear about GAK, it is a system which is NOT
intended to benefit all citizens approximately equally.  The vast majority
(over 99.99%) of the population will never be the victim of any sort of
terrorism.  If anything, it's intended to provide job security for
government employees who are increasingly aware that the unhappy villagers
will be showing up at the castle with their torches.

The best thing the government could do to prevent terrorism is to simply
stop misbehaving; to stop doing those things that make many ordinary
citizens feel that they are far more a victim of their government that any
terrorist or criminal.

Jim Bell
[email protected]