Symantec's Your Eyes Only

If you read this weeks "Network Computing", there is a report on Symantec's
Your Eyes Only encryption software for Windoze 95.  The article can be
found at: http://techweb.cmp.com:80/techweb/nc/711/711sneak2.html.  Looks
like a PGP competitor - uses RSA public key, DES, triple-DES, RC4, RC4 or
blowfish secret key algorithms.  It can also be used to encrypt directories
on the hard-drive while retaining the ability to use them.

This appears aimed at corporate users, and includes a "super-user" access
to all encrypted files/messages.  Also includes the capability to create an
"unlock" disk that will decrypt everything should you lose your password.

Now my $.02.  I am concerned about the lack of a distinction between
transient communications and stored data.  This is apparent in the GAK
proposals, but is also increasingly apparent in mainstream corporate
products such as this one and ViaCrypt BE.  It is apparent (to me anyway)
that corporate access to stored data (data owned by the company, on
machines owned by the company) is probably necessary.  I do not see this
same need for access to transient communications.  Am I way off base on
this one?

	Clay

Clay Olbon II       *      [email protected]
Systems Engineer    *    PGP262 public key on web page
Dynetics, Inc.      * http://www.msen.com/~olbon/olbon.html