Re: Making encoding out of an authentication cipher

On 17 Jul 96 at 19:36, [email protected] wrote:

> Had an interesting thought, maybe worth passing on for commentary.
>
> (...since "authentication" ciphers are considered "harmless" by
> those interested in spying on your info...)
>
> Suppose you have a secure hash function H(msg) that delivers a random
[..]

There's a section in Schneier's Applied Cryptography about using hash
algorithms for ciphers.  There are several ways of doing this,
although some are stronger than others.

One you adapt the hash algorithm to a cipher, it's a cipher, not a
hash algorithm, and is regulated.

Rob

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 [email protected] (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <[email protected]>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.