Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

At 5:21 PM 7/19/96, Arun Mehta wrote:
>I must admit all this talk about what kinds of bullet best
>penetrates Kevlar makes me
>shake my head and wonder what's happening to the world --
>particularly since you are
>far more likely to use this weaponry in a rage against a loved one than
>against
>someone breaking down your door. The "good" guys arming

By "you," I have to presume you mean "me." No, I am not at likely to use
this weapon in a rage against a loved one. Trust me.

In any case, by far the most common weapon used for family killings is the
ordinary knife. Easily available, in multiple forms, it kills efficiently
(if not always quickly).

>themselves so that the "bad"
>don't invade reminds me of the stupid arms race between the US
>and the Soviets: I
>wonder how many burglars in Western Europe carry guns -- in the US, you'd
>be real stupid if you didn't carry the latest weaponry.

It may sound "stupid" to you...I suggest you read up on evolutionary game
theory. Sometimes one has no choice but to respond to an arms buildup.
Unilateral disarmament rarely works.

By the way, many burglars consciously and carefully choose to be unarmed,
as confrontation is _not_ what they want, and they know that possession of
a firearm during a robbery significantly worsens their situation if they
are apprehended.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!