Re: A Snake-Oil FAQ

> On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Deranged Mutant wrote:

>> Subject: A Snake-Oil FAQ
>>
>> Be wary of marketing gimmicks related to "if you can crack our
>> software" contests.

Deviant> I think that this one really is just a bit too broad.

Not really.  What about the `unbreakable OTP' system challenge that
went through this list a couple of months ago?  ``Break our algorithm,
and we sell you the company for $1''.  The algorithm was broken, and
the vendor slithered away never to be heard from again (but did not
sell the worthless company).

It's a good metric.
--
[email protected] baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.