Re: Netscape

James A. Donald wrote:

> At 03:27 PM 7/20/96 -0700, Tom Weinstein wrote:
> > Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
> > believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?
>
> Yes:
>
> Widespread politically motivated disobedience forces
> the state to either demonize the disobedient, (as with drug users)
> or give up enforcement.  This is a standard and effective method
> of forcing the repeal of laws, a method which has had a long record
> of success for several hundred years.

A handful of cyperpunks hardly constitutes "widespread polititcally
motivated disobedience".  In any case, the demonization has already
begun; they point their fingers at the four horsemen of the internet
at every oportunity.

What I object to is anonymous activists who perform acts at no risk to
themselves which make it harder for those of us who are trying to bring
strong crypto to everyone.

> The states cohesion derives from its legitimacy, and threats to
> legitimacy and cohesion are treated very seriously by government
> officials.
>
> Threatening the states legitimacy is arguably more effective in
> influencing government behavior than blowing up federal office
> buildings.

The first step is to create at least a strong minority.  A handful of
cypherpunks can be largely ignored.  We have to get the general
public using and educated about strong crypto before civil disobedience
will mean anything.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | [email protected]