Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

I think it is a bad policy to say, "once I have kids in the house, I
won't have guns there, period."

Kids do need carefully controlled exposure to firearms and their hazards.
I refer to the proverbial lesson a father or grandfather gies the young
laddy - shooting a watermelon or whatnot, so that the kiddy can see that
water-filled bags of protoplasm, when shot - get the shit blown out of
them.

No doubt, that guns need to be _positively_ secured in a household where
kids are running around. Many states have laws to that effect. Now, if we
could just get the unwashed masses to keep the sink-drain unclogger fluid,
the radiator-antifreeze fluid, and these various other commobn household
items - just as carefully secured....might reduce the workload on the
nation's poison control centers.

Without these parent-mediated exposures to firearms safety lessons, the
only exposure today's kids have to the subject is what they see and hear
in the public schools and on Hollywood TV/movies.   The worst possible
messengers.