Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

[email protected] writes:
> >No one would ever accuse you of supporting freedom, Phill. I'm sure it
> >was an accident.
>
> Actually I have been very active in circles like Liberty (the UK version
> of the ACLU). Its just that we have entirely different ideas of what liberty
> is. Perry believes that libery is license and I believe in the utilitarian
> formulation of Liberty as advanced by Mill, Russell et al.

You don't believe in Mill's formulation, Phill. If you did, you
couldn't possibly support 90% of the garbage you talk about. Mill was
a libertarian in the modern sense -- he opposed virtually everything
government did. Yes, his opposition was utilitarian, but so what? You
use utilitarianism to justify the indefensible.

You say I think that my idea of freedom is license. Perhaps. However,
I think my notion is closer to the common conception than yours, which
owes more to Orwellian redefinition than to the normal use of the
term.

> Of course if Perry was interested in genuine liberty instead of a slave
> owner's idea of liberty

Again, that is ad hominem. You say that ad hominem's are fine when one
is questioning a speaker's credentials, but the point is that
Jefferson's credentials are immaterial. You call him a slave owner as
in order to try to taint his ideas. However, ideas cannot be
tainted. If Adolf Hitler felt that high speed autobahns were a good
idea, that doesn't make highways a bad idea simply because of the
person who conceived of them.

Jefferson could have been a mass murderer for all I care. His words
may be evaluated fully independently of his actions. They are not
interdependent.

Perry