DES brute force? (was: Re: Borders *are* transparent)

Peter Trei <[email protected]> writes:
> [...] Last September, three or four semi-overlapping efforts
> succeeded in brute-forcing 40 bit RC4 (used in export-quality SSL).
>
> This had three main effects:
>
> 1. Raising the issue in the media, and thus in the public consciousness.
>
> 2. Within a month, the government was starting to talk about permitting the
> export of stronger (but GAK'd) encryption products.
>
> 3.  It enabled people like Jeff to argue successfully that releasing
> only an export-strength product was no longer a viable option.In
> practical terms is probably the most important effect of the crack:
> I know of at least one other company where it led directly to the
> release of both domestic and export versions.
>
> Any one up for a distributed brute force attack on single DES? My
> back-of-the-envelope calculations and guesstimates put this on the
> hairy edge of doability (the critical factor is how many machines can
> be recruited - a non-trivial cash prize would help).

Hmm, 56 bits is a lot of bits...

Here's some calcuations of my own for your criticism...

using libdes-3.23

	ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/DES/libdes-3.23.tar.gz

running the "speed" application, on a 100Mhz SGI R4000 Indy, I get
~600k key shedules / sec.  (With the ~Mb/s throughput for encrypt, the
bottle neck for simplistic brute force is going to be key scheduling).

56 bits = 72057594037927936 worst case
	= 3800 years

ouch!

So ideally for a break you would like the whole thing to be completed
in say 2 weeks wall clock time, which gives rise to the need for
~100,000 machines of similar throughput, full-time for two weeks.

Possible?

As far as cash prizes go how much could cypherpunks and friends
generate for such a purpose?  I'd guess individuals could come up with
a fair bit of money... 1000+ list members x 10$ = 10k (or whatever).

Also perhaps there are some commercial backers with interests in
seeing ITAR squished who might be persuaded to donate?

Somebody would need to spend a fair bit of effort publicising it on
USENET, to get a good response.

There may be problems associated with offering prize money... what if
some employees at DES hardware vendors `borrowed' some time on their
top of the range DES cruncher?  Perhaps this doesn't matter, as it
would just make the point even more strongly :-)

Also I can't help wondering if there isn't some lateral thinking we
can do to reduce the cost...

Are there cheap (<100$) PC DES cards which would help significantly?

What DES modes are used in typical banking situations?  (I am
presuming a challenge involving a widely used banking funds transfer
protocol would be a suitably juicy targets, based on a criteria of
demonstrating the greatest financial risk).

Are there any practical published attacks on DES which have space /
time trade offs which improve on simplistic brute force whilst still
having relatively low memory requirements for each node, and very low
communication requirements?

Adam