Re: Netscape

At 5:09 PM -0700 7/22/96, Ted Anderson wrote:
>[email protected] (Lucky Green) writes:
>> At 15:27 7/20/96, Tom Weinstein wrote:
>> >Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
>> >believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?  Do you
>> >believe it will make them change the law?  No.  What it will do is make
>> >them remove our permission to distribute this stuff.
>>
>> I doubt that. PGP has been distributed for years with less safeguards
>> than Netscape. It is available on more free-world sites than Netscape
>> US. This did not prompt the powers that be to force MIT to take down
>> their site.
>
>I must agree with Lucky.  I am quite sure that even if Netscape was not
>begin distributed over the net, copies would still be uploaded to
>international sites by folks practicing Civil disobedience.

To call simple lawbreaking by cowards working in secret "civil
disobedience" is to defame the name of Gandhi, King, and all the legitimate
protesters of modern history. Civil disobedience must be seen publicly, and
must be done by observable individuals. Masked men throwing stink bombs is
not civil disobedience--it's hooliganism.

David