Re: DAM_lin

At 02:10 PM 7/23/96 GMT, John Young wrote:
>   7-23-96, WaPo:
>
>   "The Cryptography Wars." Op-Ed By Kenneth W. Dam and
>   Herbert S. Lin
>    Indeed, only a fully open
>      and inclusive public discussion can lead to the national
>      consensus upon which any successful cryptography policy
>      will depend.
>   http://jya.com/damlin.txt  (6 kb)

I've pointed out (primarily to Sternlight) that the whole concept of
referring to it as a "cryptography _policy_" biases the discussion.
"Policies," in this usage, are the functions of governments.  Countries
don't necessarily have any need to have a "policy" on cryptography.  In
fact, one could argue that in a country where freedom of speech is in
effect, no sort of restrictive "policy" has any place.

Jim Bell
[email protected]