Re: Distributed DES crack

>I've a few machines around that could be dedicated almost full time to the
>task. What are the bandwidth requirements? Specifically, could the
>keycracker be run over a 28.8 (with a 486 running linux)?  If so, how many
>486's could I get over a single 28.8 (i.e. 28.8 -> multiple 486's daisy
>chained with ppp over direct serial connection)?

I imagine it would only need to report in every now and then with reports
on the work it's accomplished, thus requiring very minimal bandwidth (unless
you're the server, which would probably also do fine over 28.8).  For that
reason, you can have as many 486's as you can possibly own networked and
cracking at the same time...

For the record, I'm in, and have access to several mostly idle pentiums and
a few sparc 10's ... =)

//cerridwyn//