RE: Brute Force DES

On 24 Jul 96 06:19:10 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>To whittle this down to a 40-bit workload, we'd have to save 2^36
>entries* 2^8 bytes/entry = 2^39 Bytes = 512 Gig. Yes, admittedly large.
Can you say RAID?  I've had an idea for something similar to this, where
you have a VERY large database btreed using the file system and
subdirectories. This type of thing would REALLY lend itself to Unix, as
we could just mount separate drives as branches of the tree.  Now, enable
NFS and things get interesting...
>What's the cheapest form of storage, magtape? How much can you store on
>magtape? The entries can be sorted so that lookup doesn't take long even
>when you have to mount tapes.

Hmmmm... Don't they have some of those 8mm tapes that go to 4-8GM per
tape? Anyone have access to one?

// Chris Adams <[email protected]> - Webpages for sale! Se habla JavaScript!
// Automatically receive my resume or PGPKEY by sending email with a subject
// of 'send PGPKEY' or 'send resume'. Capitalization counts so be careful!