Re: Netscape

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, jim bell wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 10:52:01 -0800
> From: jim bell <[email protected]>
> To: The Deviant <[email protected]>,
>     Tom Weinstein <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Netscape
>
> At 07:00 PM 7/23/96 +0000, The Deviant wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Tom Weinstein wrote:
>
> >> Also, notice the simple verification system MIT was allowed to use, and
> >> the complex one we're required to use.
> >>

> >I'm curious, exactly whop is it that _required_ you to use that system.?

Damn I can't type at that hour.

> Excellent point.  There's a difference (or, at least, there had BETTER BE a
> difference!) between following the laws and "doing everything the government
> wants, exactly the way it wants."  It would be interesting to see the
> specific explanation which was given Netscape as to why they were required
> (if, indeed, they were required...) to use a specific system.

Something which we are still waiting for...

> It seems to me that a far more productive stance by Netscape would have been
> to say to the State Department, "We're going to put this software on the
> 'net.  We're happy to put in any precautions which are SPECIFICALLY required
> under law and/or ITAR.  However, we insist that you document the fact that
> they are required, with full and complete legal explanations for your
> assertions.  Moreover, we insist that you explain why this position is
> consistent with MIT's posting of PGP."

I would have suggested even being as nice as "We'll do the same as MIT
does with PGP's distrobution, or RSA does with RSAREF (just so you'll
know, RSA's FTP basicly has a readme file that says "the files in subdir
of a dir thats -r+x to you, so if you're a citizen go to
dist/usaRANDOM_NUMBER_HERE", thats it).  Then make them explain why
Netscape should be any different.

> At the very least, this would have set the government's position WRT ITAR in
> stone,  Part of the reason the governemnt has gotten so much 'mileage' out
> of ITAR is the fact that they morph it to do whatever they want, whenever
> they  want.  The best way to fight this is to tie down their position.

Something which has to be done sometime, sooner preferably.

 --Deviant
Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
		-- Friedrich Nietzsche