Re: DES-Busting Screen Savers?

At 05:01 AM 7/25/96 +0000, The Deviant wrote:

>> To support scaling, make it easy for people to run subset servers;
>> grab a chunk of keyspace from the main server and dole it out
>> to people who ask you for it.  If you want to get fancy,
>> hack a DNS server to allow people to register their machines
>> as NNN.descrack.org, 0<=NNN<1000, so that people can find
>> subsets without having to ask the main server.
>>

>Or hack it to use a 56 bit IP netmask-ish thing, and keep track of keys
>that way (i'm not endorsing this idea, just pointing it out)

I can see some problems doing this sort of allocation for those of us on
dial up providers.  When the IP address changes from log in to log in
recording the IP address is not much help.

You could always hand them a digital signature with the key space signed by
the server...
---
Alan Olsen -- [email protected] -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."