Re: Netscape

Jeff Weinstein writes:
>   The simple fact is that our executives decided not to provide
> our US software for download over the internet until we got
> a written statement from the Office of Defense Trade Controls
> that we would not be prosecuted for such actions.  This decision
> was made by our executives based on advice given them by lawyers
> that they trust.  The requirements imposed by the government
> were to get this written statement.

Would people quit harassing Netscape?

I don't like many things that Netscape does (SSL instead of SHTTP,
etc., private HTML extensions, etc) but they are at least providing
decent security, and by my lights they are under no moral obligation
to martyr themselves.

There is no moral obligation to sacrifice ones self for others. If
they choose not to break the law so that they can continue to do their
work and not go to jail, that is their choice. We have no cause to
harass them for failing to put up their own cross. Indeed, some people
here seem to want them not just to build the cross but nail themselves
to it. Thats asking a bit much by my wa of thinking.

Leave 'em alone. I'm happy that I can now transfer web pages over 128
bit RC4. I'd prefer to have the pages themselves protected and signed
a la SHTTP, but thats a subtle technical consideration. Their hearts
are in the right place.

Perry