Re: Am I protected by ignorance?

Your "ignorance" - Gee, I didn't know the server was in the US!

or theirs?

It would be fairly easy to figure out that the server was probably in the
US, by tracing the route, watching the amount of delay between hops over
time, etc.

If the server was discovered, I don't think your claim of ignorance as to
its location would be much of a defence. OTOH, IANAL.