Re: Freeh Testimony 7/25/96

At 03:08 PM 7/26/96 -0400, David Lesher wrote:

>Further, the more interesting aspects were what Freeh said under
>interactive questioning by the Senators. He artfully avoided
>many of their direct questions, but found himself on the rocks
>on others.
>
>He seemed rather surprised at the tenor & thrust of the questioning;
>He could not have thought this would be a cake-walk but he sure
>acted that way.

Here's a question I'd like somebody to ask Freeh:

"There are some people who believe the development of uncompromised good
encryption and easy communication, represented by the Internet, will lead to
a world with drastically less _need_ for government, and a world that will
be essentially ungovernable by centralized governments.  You are a
representative of government, first and foremost.  Your job and salary and
pension may be on the line if these predictions are true.  To what extent is
your position on key-escrow/GAK designed to resist or prevent such an
eventuality?"

(He'll probably answer that he doesn't understand the question..."

Jim Bell
[email protected]