War of Words

   Financial Times, July 27/28, 1996, p. XVIII.

   War of words over the facts

   By Peter Aspden

   It must be tough to return from a spell of duty as a war
   correspondent to a gentle, civilised, country such as
   Britain. One minute you are witnessing the most unspeakable
   atrocities committed in the name of politics, religion or
   just for the hell of it; the next, you are listening to
   heated debate over the future of the rugby Five Nations
   Championship. It does nothing for your sense of
   perspective.

   Martin Bell, who covered the Bosnian war with such
   distinction for the BBC, left the stench of the Srebrenica
   mass executions to breathe the irrelevant odours of
   Euro-scepticism and National Lottery-mania over the media
   airwaves. It shocked him to the core, as he revealed in a
   recent speech: "I ask myself: is this my country? Is it
   even my planet?"

   Bell's exasperation has led him to question the model of
   balanced, dispassionate, objective journalism which has
   been the bedrock of BBC -- and indeed most serious
   newspaper and broadcasting -- journalism. He now calls it
   "bystander journalism". "What I believe in now is what I
   prefer to call the journalism of attachment, a journalism
   that cares as well as knows."

   Predictably, this has set alarm bells ringing.
   Traditionalists fussed over their hallowed dictum -- facts
   are sacred, comment is free -- with scarcely a pause for
   reflection. It is precisely when issues take on a tragic,
   awful dimension, they argued, that one needs to stick to
   the facts of the matter. There is no room for sentiment on
   the front lines.

   But Bell's point is well made. The trouble with facts, or
   at least those which are given privilege by traditional
   journalism, is that they are hard, cold, numbing. If, while
   reporting on Srebrenica, one talks about diplomatic
   initiatives, talks about talks, United Nations troop
   movements, one soon loses one's audience.

   It is a lesson which even academics, those ultimate
   upholders of cool objectivity, have come to appreciate. I
   remember the American philosopher Richard Rorty beginning
   a lecture on human rights to Oxford University students
   with a harrowing account of a Bosnian Moslem having his
   penis bitten off. The atmosphere became electric, no mean
   feat for the Sheldonian Theatre.

   We probably would not hear of such incidents in a normal
   news account from Bosnia; we certainly would not see
   anything related to it, on grounds of poor taste. But the
   sexual sadism which is a component of virtually every
   ethnic cleansing campaign there has ever been is a fact,
   too. Not a cold, hard fact, but one which has the power to
   move people. Therein lies its strength.

   It is not as if the media show any consistency here. On
   certain occasions, they are only too willing to allow news
   reports to emote. When we see an interview with a
   distressed relative whose family has been wiped out or gone
   missing, we are meant to feel for them. And the police
   exploit that feeling: they hope that public compassion will
   turn to solid leads. The facts here are heart-wrenching.

   But, more importantly, they are facts with which we can
   identify. It requires little imagination to see ourselves
   in the wretched situation we watch on the small screen. We
   know what it is like to lose a loved one, or we feel we
   know. What we find difficult is to move from micro to
   macro.

   What happened at Srebrenica, like what happened at
   Auschwitz and Belsen, is almost unimaginable. And faced
   with the unimaginable, we go cold. This applies to news
   reports as well as the self-defence mechanisms of our
   fragile emotions. One cannot countenance sitting down after
   dinner in front of the television to hear of such
   brutalities, let alone see them.

   But that is no excuse. The trouble with cold facts is that
   they harden, while all the time we should be being
   tenderised. And then we fall to that terrible disease of
   fattened western sensibilities, "compassion fatigue".

   We should listen to Martin Bell. He knows a thing or two
   about human behaviour which most of us choose to exclude
   from our worldview. We should have heard more from him on
   the horrors of Bosnia, and less on the grotesquely
   inadequate responses of our gentle, civilised countries as
   they sought to respond to the unthinkable.

   [End]