Re: cypherpunks vs hacker

On 29 Jul 96 at 6:06, [email protected] wrote:

>  In> Rather than debate semantics of the definition of "hacker," or ask
>  In> others to suggest definitions, it might be better for interested folks
>  In> to read some of the various books on the topic and then decide for
>  In> themselves. Some of them are:
>
>  In> - Levy, "Hackers," of course
>
>    Very good history.
>
>  In> - Haffner and Markoff, "Cyberpunk"
>
>  In> - Sterling's book on hackers
>
>    Hacker Crackdown.
>
>  In> - any one (but not more) of the several Shimomura v. Mitnick books
>
>    I think that Markoffs book on the incident was written beter then the
>    rest.
>
>    I might also suggest:
>
>    - Masters of Deception
>
>    - The Cuckoos Egg by Stoll

Not to unduly belabor this, but I quite recently discovered another,
somewhat less widely known book on the subject.  _Approaching
Zero_ by Paul Mungo & Bryan Clough.  I've only skimmed it, but
my 11 year-old son has promised to lend it to me when he finishes
reading it.

AR

"In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted
security.  When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to
society but for society to give to them, when the freedom
they wished for was freedom from responsibility, then Athens
ceased to be free."  - Edward Gibbon
Allen [email protected]
PGP public key FE4A0A75
fingerprint 170FBC1F7609B76F 967F1CC8FCA7A41F