RE: A Libertine Question

Alan Horowitz <[email protected]> wrote:
<Something about horseshit not being allowed on city streets>
_________________

Punkers denounce arrests - Police nab 70
Montreal Gazette, July 30, 1996, Page A1

Punkers returned to Berri park last night to protest against the arrest of 70 of
their own during an earlier demonstration in defiance of a city curfew on parks.

More than 250 punkers and other marginalized youth gathered in the park around
12:30 a.m. yesterday to protest against a new bylaw that changed the designation
of the site from a *public place* to a city park.

The change means that the park closes between midnight and 6 a.m. and can't be
used overnight by punkers and the homeless.

The bylaw also gives police the power to ticket people for such infractions as
walking on the grass or taking up more than one space on a park bench.

Greg Broiles <[email protected]> wrote:
>The regulation of ordinary social and economic activity is not a
>"homelessness issue", it's a "freedom issue". If you admit that it can
>legitimately be regulated but reassure yourself with your trust in the
>discretion and good judgement of the regulators, your liberty is more a
>matter of grace than of right. Have a nice day.

Welcome to our model community. Please don't walk on the grass. Sit up straight.
And remember to smile at all times.

James