RE: Violation or Protection? [OLYMPICS]

At 11:51 PM 7/31/96, Blanc Weber wrote:
>>From:  [email protected]
>>
>>If the Centennial Park is a public place, not a private one, as I believe
>>to be the case, then it seems to me a person is within his rights to turn
>>down the offer to be inspected, frisked, interrogated, etc.
>
>But if the park was a private one, would it make any difference?

Of course, which is why stores can have "bags will be searched" policies,
restrictions about atire, and all sorts of other policies which are not
allowed in public places.

Disneyland is a private park, and has rules which are not the rules a
public park can have.

Put it this way, "My house, my rules."

> I mean, either it is, or it isn't, a "right".   When could it really be
>okay to violate that definition.  How are the law enforcers to do their
>job if they can't intrude into your shopping bag, when it's a critical
>National Emergency.  This is what Denning is always referring to.

One needs to distinguish "rights" vis-a-vis government actions, and the
policies of private actors. The usual point about "freedom of speech"
applies. E.g., Blanc has "freedom of speech," but not inside Microsoft.

Not to lecture, but this frequent blurring of public vs. private areas, of
government vs. corporate actions, of "property rights," is  hurting the
cause of liberty.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!