Re: Violation or Protection? [OLYMPICS]

At 12:03 7/31/96, David Rosoff wrote:
[...]
>On the local news I saw footage of a couple schmoozing in the Olympic
>(Centennial?) Park after its reopening. The voice-over said that all
>bags are being searched, and the couple said that rather than be
>alarmed or nervous, they "appreciated" it.
>
>I'm not quite sure what to think about this. I don't have enough
>experience to form a well thought-out opinion. I'd like to hear some
>of everyone's thoughts on this: Is this bag-searching a violation,
>(which was my immediate reaction) or is it not, because you have to
>already be going into the controlled area to get searched?

You are confused because you wonder how it could be that the couple could
appreciate having their bags searched, something you intuitively regard as
a violation of their rights. The very simple answer is that, generally
speaking, individuals enjoy to have their rights violated, provided that
they are given a (often false) sense of security in return.

Surveys from a few years ago showed that a majority of Americans would
approve of warrantless house-to-house searches, including their own, to
combat the use of narcotics.

ObCrypto:
The public will cheer the day that strong, non-escowed crypto is outlawed.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
   Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
   Vote Harry Browne for President.