Re: Freeh slimes again: Digital Telephony costs $2 billion now ...

At 18:29 8/1/96, Timothy C. May wrote:

>(With the Internet Phone deals--even Intel is entering the market--why are
>there no widespread uses of PGP or S/MIME? Yes, I know about about PGPhone,
>and also the Nautilus product, but none seem to be used by anyone I know.
>Maybe we should spend some time talking about the practical realities of
>these tools.)

The sound quality really isn't there, unless you have a fast machine or a
fat pipe. In addition, the vast majority of Intel based computers lack the
crucial (for user acceptance) full-duplex soundcard. Add to that the
physical impossibility of getting decent real time services over a
non-isochronous network, such as the Internet, I'net phones just don't
provide suffcient speech quality for business/serious personal use even
without the added overhead of crypto.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
   Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
   Vote Harry Browne for President.