Re: SSNs (was Re: Internal Passports)

At 12:59 PM 8/5/96 -0700, Jamie Zawinski wrote:

>Well, it would be nice if it was that easy.  You (legally) need to give
>the correct one to anyone who has to make a report about you to the IRS,
>right?  Such as your employer.

Virtually no one in the history of the world has done any time for giving a
false SS#.  Considering the fact that millions of Americans daily drive
drunk, exceed the lawful speed limit, drift through stop signs without
coming to a complete halt pick each other up in bars and do a host of other
things that are much more likely to get them in trouble than making up an
SS#, I am constantly *amazed* that people always advise you not to do so.

If it's good enough for the President of Israel, it's good enough for anyone.

>Is it
>needed to get a driver's license?  (The fine print on the DMV forms says
>"yes".)

But most DMVs don't check and the SS is still resisting verification
services (at least until the Immigration Bill passes).

>Is it necessary to make use of employer-sponsored medical
>insurance?  (I suspect that the answer to this one is "no", except for
>the fact that when my employer set up my medical insurance they let the
>insurance company use my SSN as my insurance-related-ID-number.  But in
>any event, my dentist told me, "if you don't give it to us, they won't
>pay.")

Just make sure you give the insurance company and the doctor the same number.

>If you already have a SSN, can you get a *new* one in any legal way?
>(Sort of the same idea as changing your phone number to avoid
>telemarketing scum...)

The SS resists issuing new numbers in spite of widespread duplication and
theft.  Soon people will find themselves denied the right to work in this
country unless the SS reverses this reluctance.  If your SS# is stolen and
used "too many times"  in a future worker verification program, you're
screwed.  And there won't even be any welfare for you.

Use Alta Vista to find the SS Number FAQ.  There's more stuff.

DCF