Re: Internal Passports

[email protected] (John F. Fricker) writes:
> Hmmm. Actually a long time ago I lost my job with Greenpeace out of refusal
> to sign an I-9 which was in '86 the Department of Justice's form to exhibit
> eligibility to work in the US. The form required that I present two pieces
> of photo identification or a driver's license to be authenticated by my
> employer. Maybe it's a CA state law that adds an additional skin tone
> criterium to for the filing of an I-9.

I-9 lists the documents that can be accepted as 1) proof of identity, 2)
proof of the right to work in the U.S. A U.S. passport can be used for both.
When I need to fill out the I-9, I simply present my passport. (Before I
had the passport, I used to present my naturaliation certificate, which is
also acceptable.)

A driver's licence is not sufficient because it only proves your identify,
but doesn't prove that you're allowed to have a job. There are classes of
aliens who are allowed to drive, but aren't allowed to work - e.g.,
students on J-1 visa.

---