Re: Stop the presses -- Anti-terrorism bill not that bad

>One of the ways UK and US laws differ is in regard to defamation.
>In the US, truth is a defense.  In the UK it is not.  Phill may
>have a tough time prevailing with such a suit.

In the first place cypherpunks is distributed in the UK. That
means I can issue a writ in the UK.  Secondly I deny Alan's claim
that I have contravened the US imigration laws. Since I am not
a public figure the burden of proof is upon Alan to prove his
claim.

I know an awful lot about the US libel laws after having spent
time assisting in a complicated criminal investigation during
which such a claim was made. As for the UK laws, there is
practically no defense against a libel claim that one can
file in court. There is absolutely no basis on which to
justify them. This is why the Singapore government uses them
as a form of censorship.

	Phill