Re: Babble about universal service

I also wonder why universal service is such a Good Thing. It also,
unfortunately, is on the agendas for the G-7-type meetings of information
ministers from participating countries. http://www.eff.org/~declan/global/

(My objections to universal service are perhaps not surprising. It
devolves more power into the hands of the DC bureaucrats such as the FCC,
and provides a slippery slope on which we can slide down towards more and
more government regulation. By concentrating regulatory authority in the
Federal government, it also makes decisions more subsceptible to
special-interest lobbying and political patronage. But I recall Ronda has
been arguing for universal service for some time now, including on the
netizens mailing list.)

-Declan

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:

> 	I wish that people (like Phil Agre, who claims to be in favor of
> democracy on the Net) might get it through their heads that many - probably
> most - of those already on the Net have no desire to see every redneck on the
> planet on here, much less pay for the privilege of their being able to send
> inane messages to us.
> 	-Allen
>
> From:	IN%"[email protected]" 17-JUL-1996 23:08:46.62
> From: Phil Agre <[email protected]>
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
> Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
> You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
> the "redirect" command.  For information on RRE, including instructions
> for (un)subscribing, send an empty message to  [email protected]
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> Date: 2 Jul 1996 17:03:29 GMT
> From: [email protected] (Ronda Hauben)
>

> Report 1
>
> I just returned from a fascinating week in Montreal, Canada where I
> attended the INET '96 conference held by the Internet Society. I will
> try to write some reports about what happened at the Conference in the
> next week or two as it would be good to have the online community
> discuss some of the issues that were raised at the Conference.
>
> What became clear at the conference was that this is an important
> time in the development of the Internet. People from around the
> world attended the conference and most expressed the desire that
> the Internet be made available in their countries for education
> and scientific and other uses. Some of the focus of the conference
> was on business uses of the Internet, but it seemed that there was
> a great concern among the people I spoke to that the Internet be
> available for educational and scientific and government and
> community purposes, not just for business uses.
>
> I want to start this report however, with the last talk that was
> given at the conference. The final talk was to be given by Reed Hunt
> of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. He didn't attend
> however, and instead the talk was given by Blair Levin, Chief of
> Staff at the FCC instea.
>
> A version of the talk is available at the FCC www site.
>
> The talk was a surprise as it seemed uninformed both about the
> history and importance of the Internet and of the important public
> policy considerations that need to be taken into account when making
> any rules for regulating the Internet.
>
> At the beginning of the talk, there was the statement that Reed Hunt
> was the first FCC Chairman to have a computer on his desk, but that
> he asked his staff to explain how the Internet works. So instead
> of a commitment to learn about how the Internet developed and the
> significant impact it is having on the world, the speech presented
> [...]

// [email protected] // I do not represent the EFF // [email protected] //