Re: "Thank you for not smoking" and other euphemisms

> (And then there's the "sliding scale donation suggested," say, from $5 to
> $15. Presumably this is the embodiment of pure Marxist theory, "from each
> according to his ability, to each according to his need." Be interesting to
> see their reaction if one declined to make any donation.)
>
> --Tim May

This summer I went to meet my wife at the American Museum of
Natural History in NYC, and discovered that I had a total of 10 cents
in pennies in my pocket - and that they took only cash or checks, and
the 'suggested donation' was $6. The nearest cash machine was
several blocks away. So, I paid 10 cents. The cashier took it without
batting an eye, gave my my donor's tag (they no longer use the little
metal ones depicting a dinosaur (sigh)), and said 'Thank you'.

Peter Trei
[email protected]