Re: PRACTICAL USES FOR DMV RECORDS

At 07:47 AM 8/9/96 -0700, you wrote:
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                          SANDY SANDFORT
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
>C'punks,
>
>On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, jim bell wrote:
>
>> The Oregon DMV database needs a new home.  I've seen a few
>> mentions of willing volunteers,...
>
>It probably needs a whole new domain.  How 'bout:
>
>			burglary.org
>
>That way, when burglars see an Oregon car loaded with a family
>heading south into California on vacation, they can just go on
>line and get those folks' address from the database.
>
>Afterwards, a thank you note to Oregon's DMV would be in order.

Currently they can stop in at the DMV, say something to the effect "this car
hit my dog", pay $4 cash and never even have to take off the ski mask. The
DMV has no ID requirements for giving out this information. It has without a
doubt already been bought and sold many times to marketing companies ("Hey
this guys got an old Toyota"), insurance companies, private investigators,
thieves and mobsters, and at least one person on our side.

Until there is such a thing as the "anonymous citizen" public data might as
well be as public as it gets. This "for those who know" policy is pervasive
and must end.

--j
Oregonian and in that database